Welcome back to, Don’t Get it Right, Get it Written! By Stuart White
More on Stuart HERE
Stuart continues his tips on how to decide…Where do I get story ideas for my novel?
CONTINUED FROM,WHAT IS YOUR NOVEL ABOUT?
YOU’RE NOW SAYING YOU DON’T HAVE A GIRAFFE-LIKE CREATURES TYPE IDEA, BUT YOU’D STILL LIKE TO WRITE A NOVEL. SO WHERE CAN YOU GET A GOOD IDEA FROM?
You can get your ideas by remembering this principle:
Learn and inwardly digest.
Most stories of any kind can be novels. Movies or TV series start with the thought: WHAT IF?
Here are 5 famous “What if?” examples:
* What if there were a lonely English kid who ends up in an incredible school of magic?
Answer: Harry Potter.
* What if an alien somehow got stranded on earth and was befriended by a young boy?
* What if there was a rootless, disaffected ex-Military Police officer who went around America somehow righting wrongs?
Answer: The Jack Reacher novels.
* What if a disaffected spy and renegade Admiral decided to give himself up to the FBI and help a new young profiler solve mysterious crimes?
Answer: The Blacklist.
* What if a demented sea captain was obsessed with capturing a great white whale that had taken off his leg?
Answer: Moby Dick.
GET THE PICTURE?
And aside from ‘what if?’ – there’s history. History is littered with amazing vignettes that can yield incredible potential novels.
Come back Monday next week and Stuart will show you how to get inspired and dig up story gems from history. SIGN UP for the blog newsletter so you don’g miss a single post!
Purchase one of Stuart’s MANY works here…a FREE sample is available when you click through the link to Amazon.