I make this banana bread about twice a month. Both my picky eater boys love this recipe! It’s a safe food for both of them and I’ve added some healthier ingredients like whole wheat flour, flax seed and oatmeal to the mix.
I make mini muffins, but the recipe can be easily adapted for loaves of banana bread. However, my kids ONLY eat the mini muffin versions.
It does make a pretty loaf though:
TIP: Freeze your over-ripe bananas in a freezer bag and add to it until you have enough to make banana bread. Takes about 4-5 good sized bananas.
BANANA BREAD MUFFINS
By Scout Semmes
1 ¼ CUPS SUGAR
½ CUP BUTTER – softened to room temperature
1 ½ CUPS MASHED BANANAS – overripe are best
1 ½ CUPS MILK
1 TEASPOON VANILLA
3/4 CUP OF VEGETABLE OIL
1 ½ CUPS ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
1/2 CUP WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
½ CUP PLAIN QUICK OATMEAL
1 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
1 TEASPOON SALT
⅓ cup Flax Seeds
2 TBLS Brewer’s Yeast
- Heat oven 350 degrees. Grease bottoms of muffin and/or loaf pans (or use baking cups for muffins)
- Mash bananas in a medium bowl with a potato masher or your electric mixer.
- In a separate large bowl, mix sugar and butter with a spoon until well incorporated and smooth. Or use your electric mixer.
- Add eggs to butter and sugar. Mix until eggs are well blended to create a creamy texture.
- Add bananas, milk, oil and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Stir in flour, oatmeal, baking soda and salt. (add optional ingredients if desired at this point) Mixture will have a “batter-like” consistency.
Divide batter evenly among greased pans and/or muffin cups. Fill greased pans with batter: ¾ full for loaf pan and ¾ full for muffin cups.
Bake 45 minutes – one hour for loaf, 25 minutes for muffins, and 19-22 mins for mini muffins or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 mins. Remove carefully from pans to cooling rack.
Makes about 2 loaves OR about 5 dozen mini muffins
To freeze muffins:
Wait until completely cool. Remove muffins from cupcake pans to a sheet tray. Place muffins on sheet tray without allowing them to touch. If you need more room put aluminum foil on top of the first layer and put the rest on top of the aluminum foil. Freeze for 30 minutes or until flash frozen. Remove to marked freezer bag and seal for up to two months.
To freeze loaves:
Wait until completely cool. Wrap in plastic wrap. Place in marked freezer bag and seal for up to two months.
To defrost mini muffins:
Remove 3 muffins from bag and put on a microwave safe plate. Microwave for 10 seconds. Let stand if too hot.
Defrost in refrigerator until soft
Download the recipe PDF here: